After a successful first round of gun buy-backs took place in Stamford, the police department has decided to host a second round coming up in the month of January.
The second round of buy-backs will be held on the following dates, times and locations:
Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013, at the Turn of River Fire Station, 268 Turn of River Rd. from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013, at the Chester Addison Community Center, 245 Selleck St., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The first round saw the department collect 32 guns in total over the course of two weekend events.
The first event, held at the Stamford Police Station on Dec. 1, 2012, netted:
- Shotguns, 2
- Revolvers, 6
- Pistols, 3
The second event, held Dec. 15, 2012, at the First Congregational Church, netted:
- Rifles, 5
- Revolvers, 8
- Pistols, 6
While gift cards will be handed out for certain guns brought in to be turned over to authorities, but the weapons must meet certain criteria first.
- All firearms must be unloaded
- Weapons should be transported in a vehicle’s trunk
- If carrying by hand, place the firearm in a bag or a box
- Ammunitions should be transported in a container separate from any firearm
- The program is open to both Stamford residents and non-residents
- Businesses do not qualify
- Firearms considered to be junk will not be accepted
The current program is a revitaliztion of a previous buy-back program, which most recently collected 67 guns in Stamford 11 years ago.
UPDATE: Following the Stamford dates, Norwalk PD will be hosting a buy-back on Feb. 2.