the Webbs Hill Road explosion that obliterated a home there and ultimately sent two to the hospital with minor injuries.Mayor Michael Pavia on Friday gave an update on
Following an update from Stamford Chief Fire Marshal Charles Spaulding on Thursday, Pavia said the explosion that sent the homeowner and a fire fighter to the hospital remains a mystery.
All aspects of the case were considered, but because of the damage, Pavia said only a probable cause can be established and that leading theory seems to be the basement slowly filled with propane gas released by a "defective device from within the propane distribution" delivery mechanism until an electrical spark from just about anywhere ignited the fumes.
Pavia said of interest now, to ensure a catastrophic explosion like the one that occurred at 305 Webbs Hill Road and ignited a propane tank that was allowed to burn for several days under controlled setting, was finding a way to detect a fault in propane delivery or the presence of the gas in the home.
One simple way to check for faults, Pavia said, was for home owners utilizing propane delivery systems to make regular checks of the lowest levels of their home. Because propane is heavier than air, the gas will settle at the lowest point during a build-up.
See the entirety of Pavia's comments in the video above.