.

Madonna Badger Talks About Christmas Day Fire in First Televised Interview

“I begged and begged them. There was an ambulance, and the walkie-talkies are going on, and I’m yelling at them, ‘Where are my kids? Where are my babies?’" Badger says in the interview to be televised on NBC's “Rock Center with Brian Williams” at 10 p.m.

Madonna Badger, who lost her and parents in the in Stamford, talks about the and how she has been during an interview with Matt Lauer to be televised on NBC's “Rock Center with Brian Williams” at 10 p.m. ET Thursday.

“My teeth were black and my mouth was black from the smoke," Badger tells Lauer in the interview, her first since the tragedy, in a preview posted on the TODAY Show website. "They took me away quickly because they were worried about smoke inhalation. Evidently, something can happen to you, (so) they said I had to go right away."

“I begged and begged them. There was an ambulance, and the walkie-talkies are going on, and I’m yelling at them, ‘Where are my kids? Where are my babies?’" a tearful Badger says in the interview, recalling her interaction with rescue workers on the scene. “Somebody said, ‘Turn off the radios, turn off the radios!’ I knew they must’ve… I don’t know what happened. Something really bad."

Badger is reportedly for property damage, personal injury and civil rights violations, claiming the city without properly notifying or compensating her.

Her ex-husband, , who lives in New York City, also reportedly plans to bring a , saying building officials didn't do enough to during the on Madonna Badger's Victorian waterfront house on Shippan Avenue.

For more check out the preview on NBC's TODAY.

Bobbie June 19, 2012 at 05:21 PM
How sad..I understand the grief, but it must be someone else at fault. Are they suing the contractor who physically moved ashes from a fireplace,or the guy that disconnected the smoke detectors. Why pick on a town that reached out in the darkest days and extract money from them? So so very sad. The poor contractor who was sleeping at his customers home, how sad. The whole thing is depressing.
Winnie Gudz June 19, 2012 at 11:32 PM
I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. But the fact is Mrs. Badger and her family were there and they should not have been. She had to have known there were no working smoke alarms. There are two people to blame, her and her contractor/ boyfriend. How dare anyone try to blame the City, the blame is on Mrs, Badgers hands for having her family in an unsafe place and for not making sure those ashes were away from the house like they should of been. Shame on you both! Just because you can't get any money out of your contractor/ boyfriends insurence company that dosn't give you the right to sue the City. Open your eyes!!!!
nick dallas June 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM
I am a father that was thrown out of my home-if those were my girls-I would have died trying to get them out-that you are a live shows how little you cared about them.
Jim Eastwood June 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM
To All I wish the crying would stop Several near by Towns and Cities had Smoke Detector laws in place years ago and inspected SINGLE family dwellings for them. With all that Money and success, they missed the basics of Fire Prevention. How Come there was no Cell Phone call from the house?? Was the dwelling sheet rocked inside?? How stupid can one be to put ashes inside a bag and then inside the house.??? I know she lost her kids and I feel for her, however what would have happened if this fire was some where else instead of the Greater new York area---I beleive a Family of 8 yes 8 died in a fire in Charlestown West Virginia last month. I hope sometime comes out of this Incident. Everyone here is "Lawyered Up" and I am sure that PR people are guiding Ms Badger. Learn from this everyone. Did you check you Smoke Detector today ??? Do you have a Home escape plan??? Is your house sprinkled ,are are all your Construction projects Legal and to Code??? Learn Not to Burn !!! Stay Safe
Hope Tut June 22, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Badger's father was the fire prevention expert at Jack Daniel's distillery for many years. Come on you disgustingly rich NewYorkers! It is immoral to sue the city,
Louisville citizen June 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Do not blame the victims. No one in that house would have ever done anything to harm themselves or those children. And why shouldn't Mrs. Badger sue? The city tore down the house without any ok from the family. How could anyone do that to them? Maybe there were momentous they could have salvaged. It is just a horrible tragedy and no one is to be blamed.
Shelly Boyle June 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM
It is ironic that both of Ms Badger's parents were in safety conscious jobs and were so safety oriented. If only her father was there when they decided to clean ashess from a fireplace at 3 in the morning. Two middle aged people , who didn't know the basics about fire safety and the danger of ashes, even if they seemed burndt out . I think that there was also a few glasses of wine, which would explain their lapse of judgement that night. It will haunt Madonna Badger forever that when she was going up the stairs to bed and she saw the paper bag of ashes and she thought to herself, "I should put that outside. I should put that outside", and then she didn't !
bart July 23, 2012 at 04:04 PM
oops!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something