.

Construction Worker Dies After Equipment Hits Live Wire

40-year-old Stamford man identified by police.

Authorities announced Friday the name of a construction worker who died in what police are calling a tragic electrocution accident at 300 Stillwater Ave. while using heavy machinery.

Juan Orozco, 40, of E. Walnut St. in the South End section of Stamford, was killed while using a forklift to place an I-beam above a sprinkler system, Capt.Richard Conklin said. He believed the beam came into contact with a wire hanging from a light fixture there. 

Orozco was working for the Westport-based company Welding Services, Inc., Conklin said. 

Federal Occupational Safety & Health Administration officials also responded to the scene. 

Fred Bowman December 26, 2012 at 03:04 AM
Such a tragic loss. I think the company did not foresee such a situation to happen. I believe it is the result of negligence of all the workers in that particular construction site who have failed to notice the loose dangling wire. The victim had followed the correct procedure which is to perform lifting jobs with the aid of a forklift, but who would have known that the object he was lifting had to come in contact with a live wire. Well, the worst has happened and hopefully the company has learnt from that mistake and implement more stringent safety regulations that include checking out for dangling live wires.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »