Mayor Michael Pavia has officially lifted the State of Emergency, placed into effect on Sunday, Oct. 28, in preparation for Hurricane Sandy.
The City’s Emergency Operations Center has resumed a normal operating schedule. CL&P has restored electricity to 100 percent of Stamford.
Stamford Public Schools has announced that all schools will be open on Veteran’s Day, Monday, Nov. 12.
The City of Stamford will begin a Storm Debris Collection Program to collect storm debris that has fallen into the city’s sidewalks and streets. Guidelines for Collection:
- Bring storm debris—logs, brush, trunks and limbs to the curb for pickup. City crews cannot remove material from private property.
- Only tree debris will be picked up. Grass clippings, weeds, furniture, building material fencing, clothing will not be picked up.
- Do not cover curbs, storm drains, irrigation pipes, sprinklers and curb boxes with storm debris; the city will not replace these devices damaged or destroyed during collection.
Storm debris pickup will begin on the Stamford-Westchester County line on Nov. 12 and proceed southward. Collection crews will be in mid-Stamford, below the Merritt Parkway to I-95, on or about November 26th. Collection below I-95 will be picked on or about December 10th.
Note: City crews will not return if the storm debris is not put out by the starting date for the designated area.
Further information may be obtained by calling Citizens Service Center at 203-977-4140 or 203-977-5858.
FEMA Disaster Assistance:
- Residents and businesses in Stamford who suffered damage as a result of Storm Sandy are encouraged to register with FEMA before visiting a recovery center by either calling 800-621-FEMA (3362) or by going online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. For those with speech or hearing disabilities, the TTY number is 800-462-7585.
- A FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) has been established in Greenwich at the Western Greenwich Civic Center located at 449 Pemberwick Rd., Greenwich, CT. Hours of operation is Monday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.