Strictly speaking, Monday is known as Washington's Birthday (though the great man was born Feb. 22), and has only become known as "Presidents Day" more recently to also ecompass Abraham Lincon's Feb. 12 birthday (in Connecticut, a state holiday).
Own a business or involved in an organization in Darien? Tell us in the comments thread below whether you're closed or holding special hours on Monday, a federal holiday. We'll update this article with your information.
- Stamford Government Center—The town website says it's closed for Washington's Birthday.
- Ferguson Library and its branches are closed.
- Stamford post offices—There will be no mail delivered or sent Monday.
- Stamford Public Schools—No school Monday due to the holiday, and then the rest of the week is winter break.
- Most banks are closed, including Bank of America and People's United Bank (see note about banks below).
State & Region
State of Connecticut offices, including:
- Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles customer services offices will close at 12:30 p.m. Friday and all day Saturday, and will be closed Monday.
- TD Bank is open in Stamford and across the state (most banks are closed; see note about banks below).
Organizations-State & Region
- Metro-North Railroad will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- Connecticut Transit will have a regular schedule except for reduced Commuter Connection service (see attached holiday schedule).
- Here's a nice list of family activities for Presidents' Day weekend in Connecticut, including a Winter Creature Cruise of the Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk.
Banks in Connecticut
Banks, under Connecticut law, are allowed to remain open on a holiday if they notify their customers beforehand by posting information in their lobby or office.