One of the features that makes Patch different from other online news sources is the ability for readers to post their own events for free.
The steps are simple and in addition to using text in your events, you can also add photos, videos and PDFs, and once posted, they have the potential to get featured on the homepage and appear in daily e-newsletters. Each event also generates a short URL that editors (and you) can you use to promote it on Twitter, Facebook and other social networks.
The video above explains how it works, and it's incredibly easy.
Here's a step-by-step:
1. (If you already have a Patch account, skip to step #2) Sign up for a Patch account by clicking on the "Sign Up" button at the top of the homepage and following the instructions. Once your account is confirmed, log in.
2. Click on "Events" on the top of the page.
3. At the bottom of the Events page, click "Add an Event."
4. Give your event a title.
5. Choose a date, starting time and end time. If your event repeats, check the box that says "This event happens more than once or is an ongoing event."
6. Under "Where," type in an address or the name of a location. If adding an address, include the city so the site knows where to place the event. Once you have a location, click on that location to save it. (Please note that the form will only accept addresses in the town where the Patch site your logged into exists. Contact your local Patch's editor for further assistance.)
7. Fill out a description for your event. Tell us why we should be there and what to expect at the event.
8. If you'd like to add photos, videos or a PDF, click "Choose files to upload."
9. Choose a category and fill out any other information, such as who the event is best for, the price, a contact number or email address, website, etc.
10. Click "Post My Event."
If you have any additional questions about posting events or if you'd like to have your event appear on more than one Patch site, contact your local editor.