What's Open, What's Closed:
It's already been announced that Stamford Public Schools will be dismissed early Thursday. On Friday, residents can check this site to see what the call has been for Friday's classes.
Valerie Pankosky, Administrative Assistant for the Board of Representatives, has announced Thursday night’s Public Safety & Health Committee Meeting has been canceled.
Due to the inclement weather the UCONN Stamford campus will cancel all classes as of 5 pm Thursday, January 2nd. All classes for Friday, January 3rd are canceled as well. The campus will reopen Saturday, January 4th. Please check the UCONN Stamford emergency communication means (home page, UCONN email, text messaging service and emergency phone line 203.251.8524) for updates.
As for town services themselves, Stamford Director of Public Safety, Health & Welfare Ted Jankowski had this to say:
"The Emergency Operations Center is monitoring the storm at this time," Jankowski said. "We convened a meeting in the Emergency Operations Center this morning to discuss the winter storm, preparedness and the City’s response. All departments are prepared to respond to this winter event and Operations crews are preparing to plow and spread material as necessary. I will be here throughout the storm."
Jankowski offered the following tips and advice:
power outages are expected. Connecticut Light & Power has called
in additional line and tree crews which are being deployed throughout
- Life threatening situations should be reported to 911.
- Downed power lines should be reported immediately to CL&P at 1-800-286-2000. Power outages may also be reported here.
- To report operational issues such as downed trees, etc, the Citizens Service Center will be open for calls at 203-977-4140 during business hours.
For non-emergency weather related issues after business hours call 203-977-4444.
- All Fire Stations and the Government Center will be utilized as warming stations. If necessary, Shelter and other pertinent information will be made available through the City’s website and the media.
- Stamford Government Center Lobby: Friday (8am to 9pm)
888 Washington Blvd.
- YMCA: Friday (9am – 5pm)
909 Washington Blvd
- Chester Addison Community Center: Friday (9am – 5pm)
245 Selleck St
- Union Baptist Church: Friday (9am – 2pm)
805 Newfield Avenue
- Central Fire Headquarters: Friday (8am - 6pm)
629 Main Street
- South End Fire Station: Friday (8am – 6pm)
215 Washington Blvd
- West Side Fire Station: Friday (8am – 6pm)
80 Fairfield Avenue
- East Side/Shippan Fire Station: Friday (8am – 6pm)
- Woodside Fire Station: Friday (8am – 6pm)
1600 Washington Blvd
- Belltown Fire Station: Friday (8am – 6pm)
8 Dorlen Road
- Long Ridge Fire Station: Friday (8am – 6pm)
366 Long Ridge Rd.
- Sprindale Fire Station: Friday (8am- 6pm)
987 Hope St.
- Turn of River Fire Station: Friday (8am-6pm)
Buxton Farms Road
If you're a juror scheduled to appear in a state courthouse on Friday -- don't. That's according to this tweet from the Connecticut Judicial Branch.
Connecticut government offices are closing early on Thursday, some starting at 3 p.m.
Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles offices closed at 3 p.m. Thursday, the department announced in an email sent at ... 2:55 p.m.
"[T]he Department of Motor Vehicles is cancelling all road tests for tomorrow (Friday, Jan. 3). The cancellation is due to expected inclement weather and poor road conditions. Anyone with a scheduled road test can call DMV to choose a new date. The numbers to call are 860-263-5700 if someone is within the Hartford area and toll-free 800-842-8222 for those outside the Hartford area. DMV is also attempting to contact customers with road test appointments to advise them of the schedule change." (added 2:36 p.m., Thursday)
Friday garbage pickup has been postponed to Saturday. Due to Wednesday’s holiday, the City delayed garbage pickup this week by one. As a result of the winter storm, residents normally receiving garbage pickup on Thursday or Friday will now receive pickup on Saturday.
- Be Prepared Stamford
- Stamford Department of Public Safety, Health and Welfare
- State DOT Traffic Cameras on Interstate 95 in Greenwich, Stamford, Darien and Norwalk (See also Stamford Patch’s "Commute” page)
Got a great shot to share of the storm? Use
Patch's Boards to upload photos of anything storm related to share the
scenery and, occasionally, the dangers to be found around town. From
snow-covered winter wonderlands to downed wires and limbs, share photos
and locations of things you stumble across right on Patch's home page by
clicking in the Boards box that reads "Post Something" then just upload
your photo and where you took it! Really simple and helpful for your
neighbors when crowdsourcing information. You can also click this link to get a landing page dedicated exclusively to uploading your own content.
Power Tracker: Though Patch will be updating the numbers if and when they become available, you can check CL&P's outage map here if you lose power and are checking in from a laptop or mobile device.News Right to Your Inbox: Want to make sure you don't miss any developing news ever again? Sign up for the Stamford Patch Newsletter. You can also follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.