[Editor's Note: This announcement was originally published on Dec. 20.]
Chelsea Piers Connecticut (CPCT) announces Matt Stack as Director of Rinks. For the past seven years, Stack worked for BlueStreak Sports Training in Stamford, Connecticut, where he was one of the four original partners and most recently acted as Facility General Manager. Prior to BlueStreak, Stack played Professional Hockey in the United Hockey League for the Adirondack Ice Hawks and is currently both a High School level coach and scout for the United States Hockey League.
In his role as Director of Rinks at Chelsea Piers Connecticut, Stack will be responsible for hiring top-level coaches and instructors, programming the twin ice rinks for both ice hockey and figure skating, and developing creative programming for skaters of all ages and ability levels.. The skating program will include a dynamic learn to skate program, figure skating freestyle programming, ice shows, skating camps and more. Beginner to advanced level instruction, private lessons, leagues, elite team training, camps, clinics and more will be available for skaters and hockey players. In addition, CPCT will host high-level hockey tournaments throughout the year.
With two NHL-sized, professional quality rinks, The Rinks at Chelsea Piers Connecticut will be the newest and most high-tech ice facility in the area. There will be ample locker rooms, off-ice training facilities and bleacher seating at the Connecticut facility.
“Matt is one of the most dedicated and creative coaches that we have met in both girls and boys ice hockey,” commented Mollie Marcoux, Executive Director of CPCT. “In addition to his coaching talents, Matt has spent the past seven years creating programming for athletes at all levels and we look forward to him using his knowledge and experience to develop creative hockey and skating programming to meet all of our athletes’ needs.”
Stack has enjoyed great success coaching prep school, college and professional players. Stack has coached 11 NHL Draft picks, 94 Divison I athletes, 17 Professional players, two US Olympians and more than 250 prep school players. Stack is also currently one of two New England USHL Scouts, coaches the U-16 Boys Mid-Fairfield Blues and U-16 Girls Mid-Fairfield Stars, is the assistant coach of the Rye Country Day Girls Varsity hockey program and is a USA Hockey Level IV certified coach.
In 2010 Matt Stack was named a Master Trainer by Athletic Republic, a distinction that only thirty trainers hold out of the 1,100 in the Athletic Republic network.
A graduate of Millbrook School and New England College, Matt was a two sport captain in ice hockey and lacrosse and helped lead the Pilgrims to three championships in eight seasons, with two finals defeats.
ABOUT CHELSEA PIERS CONNECTICUT
Chelsea Piers Connecticut (CPCT) is a 400,000-sq-ft state-of-the-art sports and recreation facility located in Stamford, CT, just off I-95 at Exit 9. Slated to open in June 2012, Chelsea Piers Connecticut will consist of seven core sports facilities encompassing more than 18 sports.
- The Rinks - Twin rink skating facility for ice hockey and figure skating
- Aquatics Center - Olympic-sized pool, warm water instructional and exercise pool, and 6,000 sq-ft water play area featuring three giant slides
- Gymnastics Training Center – 15,000 sq-ft gymnastics training space with a recreational trampoline center and cheerleading program
- Baseball and Softball Training Facility – Indoor turf infield and five batting cages
- Field House – Indoor 100-yard turf field for soccer, lacrosse, football, field hockey, softball and baseball; hardwood courts for basketball and volleyball; and a 1/5-mile track.
- Squash Center – Squash Center with 12 courts
- Tennis Center - Tennis Center with seven indoor tennis courts
Like Chelsea Piers New York, CPCT will combine athletic facilities with an extensive array of professional instructors and league programs for youths, teens and adults.
In addition to these sport offerings, CPCT will also be home to:
- Childcare facility and preschool - Small class sizes, certified teachers and use of the sports facilities at CPCT
- Food Service - Food service, event spaces, and catering throughout the facility
- Pro Shop – An on-site pro shop for equipment needs